Monday, August 28, 2006

Back to California for JMK

Late last week, John Mark Karr was hedging his bets against what he knew to be inevitable -- the DNA wouldn't match. Courtesy of KUSA, we now have confirmation of that fact.
BOULDER, Colo. - Prosecutors decided not to charge John Mark Karr in the slaying of JonBenet Ramsey, his lawyers said Monday after a TV station reported that the schoolteacher’s DNA failed to match genetic material on the 6-year-old girl’s body.

For most people who've spent the last week or so watching this unfold, this revelation comes as no surprise. Will the talking heads turn to pointing out the egg on Mary Lacy's face? I don't happen to see it that way. I suspect that as the rest of the story comes out, it will be shown that the Boulder County District Attorney did what she had to do -- no more, no less. Unfortunately, it may take quite a while. I doubt that they have any intention of revealing the information they've kept under seal up 'til now. I hope that Lacy is able to weather this storm and continue to keep the JonBenét Ramsey investigation on track.

Speaking of which, I'm concerned about the direction of the investigation. At one time, I believed in Lou Smit's theory as to who tortured and killed JonBenét. He gave a good argument that the six-year-old was targeted by a child predator, a sexually sadistic pedophile, to be specific. While I agree that an intruder was responsible for her death, I'm no longer convinced that the sexual assault was the primary motive behind the heinous murder. My current theory is that the crime was commited by a cold and calculating megalomaniac. I believe that JonBenét was targeted, not simply for her beauty and high-profile image as a little beauty queen, but also for the prominence of her parents in the Boulder community. The theory is a work in progress. I have a lot of reading to do before I'll be ready to present it in detail.

Stay tuned.

Update: 5:55 pm, CDT

Court documents have been posted spelling out the reasons behind the investigation and arrest of John Mark Karr and the decision to drop any pending charges against him. Like I said before, Mary Lacy didn't do anything wrong. It's just the nature of public interest in the case and the media's tendency to exploit such high-profile crimes that turned this incident into a three ring circus. The furor surrounding the arrest was unfortunately not to be avoided. It's a shame that the pain of the Ramsey family had to be churned up and that people like Wendy Hutchens and Wendy Murphy were given a platform because of it.